We need to talk about... Cancer

While I generally try to keep things light and entertaining on this blog, there are occasions where I will discuss subjects that aren't necessarily a laughing matter.

Cancer is one of those subjects. I know I am not alone in saying that cancer has taken a number of people close to me. 

In recent years several of my friends have been diagnosed with cancer. 

One of them has beaten it. Another is currently fighting it. One lost his fight, before his 40th birthday.

I have taken part in several events to raise money for various charities that do an amazing job in researching and fighting the causes of cancer and aiding those that are battling with it. 



It's not uncommon to take part in a race and see people wearing t-shirts with a picture of a loved one that has been taken by this vicious disease, or a message for them on their t-shirt.

This never fails to choke me up. Whenever I am out training or racing and I'm starting to flag and want to stop, I think about those that I've lost and the pain they inevitably went through. 

I tell myself that what I'm feeling is nothing compared to the pain they went through and how lucky I am to be fit and healthy enough to run a half marathon or cycle 50 miles.

In my blog where I discussed the reasons I am taking a break from alcohol there is one reason I omitted but was a factor in my decision. And that is because I want to be around for my children for as long as possible. 

Cancer is a lottery, and perhaps I'm kidding myself, but I want to increase the odds of me having a long healthy life. I know cancer is caused by a lot of things so wouldn't want to suggest that anyone who is being treated for cancer encouraged it by drinking.

And I don't want this blog to be about me moralising. I am choosing not to drink at the moment, I have no intention of forcing my views on others. Please bare with me over the next few sentences.

The facts show that alcohol, in the words of Cancer Research UK, "is one of the most well established causes of cancer."


According to Cancer Research, alcohol has been classed as a Group 1 carcinogen since 1988 which "means that there is convincing evidence that alcohol causes cancer in humans." 

Not only this but Cancer Research states that "there’s no ‘safe’ limit for alcohol when it comes to cancer". 

Apparently "regularly drinking even small amounts of alcohol can increase the risk of breast cancer . A review of the evidence in 2012 concluded that having one drink a day (around 1.5 units) could increase the risk of breast cancer by 5%."

All very shocking and sobering (pardon the pun) statistics. So imagine my surprise when I discovered this weekend, that despite offering all these warnings, Cancer Research actively encourage women to drink after completing a half marathon or marathon.

"One drink a day (around 1.5 units) could increase the risk of breast cancer by 5%"

On the Sunday that has just passed I was supporting someone taking part in one of Cancer Research's Race For Life events. These are women only races, pitched as perfect for beginner runners. 

Race for Life offer some fantastic training programs that can be downloaded from its website, including information that, as a beginner, you may be unaware of, such as the importance of stretching.

I did not see anything on their website advocating drinking alcohol as part of training. In fact I couldn't find any information on the importance of rehydrating after such an intense run.

Yet finishers were encouraged to head straight to the prosecco bar for their complimentary bubbly - with the organisers announcing over the loud speaker to finishers "Well done, go and get yourself a glass of prosecco."

I know this is not the only endurance event to offer alcohol at the finishing line. However for a charity that's sole purpose is to raise awareness about the causes of cancer I thought this, at best, gave a mixed message and at worse was incredibly irresponsible.

I spoke to an event organiser (a Cancer Research employee) who didn't agree with my views, stating that it was fine in moderation (which obviously isn't the message given on their website).

So I asked why didn't they give cigarettes out at the finishing line, stating that if three competitors shared a cigarette, by her logic that would be acceptable. Unsurprisingly she didn't agree.

So my question is, why is it acceptable to give out alcohol, which as stated by Cancer Research is a Group 1 carcinogen but not cigarettes? 

In the interests of transparency, I have consumed alcohol within minutes of finishing an event but never after an event that was about raising awareness of the dangers of alcohol.

You could argue that I am overreacting (please let me know your thoughts in the comments below) but I feel this really gives out mixed messaging on the health implications of drinking alcohol. There was a time when smoking wasn't viewed as it is now.


Attitudes to alcohol are slowly changing and surely Cancer Research, of all people, should be leading the charge on this.

I have been in touch with Cancer Research and given them the opportunity to comment, which I would have included in this blog. However after a phone call and three emails they have unfortunately not responded. 

If they do I will happily update this post.

These are the questions I put to them:

1) If alcohol is so harmful why was a free glass of Prosecco offered to those completing Race for Life's half marathon and marathon at Lee Valley park?

2) Does this not give out mixed messaging and encourage people to drink (which isn't recommended after intense exercise)?

3) If alcohol was being offered why wasn't information on the harmful effects, as displayed on your website, also given to allow competitors to make an informed choice?

4) What was the measurement of the glass/unit given to competitors?

5)Why weren't competitors  informed of how much of their recommended daily units this was in case they though they might enjoy another glass or more later in the day?

6) Is it  common practice to encourage competitors to drink alcohol after Race for Life event?

7) Are there any plans to change the policy of encouraging competitors to drink alcohol after taking part in a Race for Life event? If so why not?

8) Are there plans to offer complimentary cigarettes to competitors after taking part in a Race for Life event? If not why not?


Comments

  1. As the friend who has beaten it (if that is me, if not well done another of Dave's friends *survivor fistbump*)- but who despite a life of what can euphemistically be described of a rock n roll lifestyle, actually got cancer due to the HPV virus (get your girls and boys vaccinated) - I'd say you have a fair point. And I am someone who has beaten cancer and I don't live my most virtuous life now, I still like to misbehave sometimes but that's my choice, which doesn't always make me feel good but damn it I am so happy to be alive most of the time that I intend to keep misbehaving when I'm feeling up to it.
    Anyway my point is, I hugely admire those who have made positive life choices and I like a drink almost more than I like fundraising to fight the bastarding cancer but no. This, in my view isn't appropriate, like you say it's not good to booze directly after exercise so encouraging it isn't cool, it's not even a cooking lager they are offering it's wine. No they wouldn't hand out fags at the finish, they shouldn't hand out booze. I'm a little bit disappointed that they do.
    I find the whole "pinkification" of cancer research fundraising a bit problematic to be honest. I understand it's bringing in the bucks which is good, but this whole idea that it's kind of like a really girly hen party makes me feel excluded as I didn't have one of the "nice" girly cancers, I had arse cancer so I feel liek there's no place at this table for people like me.
    I don't want to wear a pink tutu and have a prosecco to beat cancer. I just want to beat cancer. I know technically I'm almost 2 years clear so I almost have but yeah. This doesn't sit right with me.
    And by the way you are VERY entitled to have the point of view that you do. Anyone who disagrees well... who are the fundraising for? To make themselves feel better? For the free booze. I don't know. But yeah it's a complex thing mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alison, much appreciated x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ShinyShep, it was you I was referring to but delighted to hear yesterday that my friend who is battling it got some very good results back. Still obviously very much on the "watch list" but initial signs looking good.

    Thanks for you comments, was worried it might come across as offensive - particularly as I know I've indulged in the rock and roll behaviour with you many times in the past! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The greatest hits...